Sunday, February 26, 2012

Pancake Tuesday

Last Tuesday was pancake Tuesday in Ireland (You see, I'm catching up...kinda lol!)

More commonly known to Americans as Fat Tuesday. Its the day before Ash Wednesday and the start of Lent. Which is still a big deal here even though most Irish people aren't very religious anymore.

Basically you gorge yourself on pancakes all day long. (I'm not a huge fan of Irish pancakes so I only had a few for dinner and ate normally the rest of the day. Unlike the hubs and all of my co-workers!)


Here James is preparing his huge stack of pancakes....this is one of his favorite days of the year. He would eat pancakes for dinner all of the time if I let him!



The stack...It actually looks small from this angle but I promise you its not! That is a full sized dinner plate and there are about 20 pancakes on that plate....they are just super thin here...otherwise known as CREPES. Although an Irish person won't hear of that. They are "pancakes" ppfftttt.


There are lots of toppings you can put on your pancakes....nutella is fairly popular (we are too poor for real nutella...tesco value all the way!) the common Irish way to eat them is with lemon juice and sugar (which I think is disgusting....funnily enough James thinks my butter and maple syrup is disgusting...)


Here are James pancakes...ready to go with the lemon and sugar. Rolled up of course. (How they don't see that these are crepes I have no clue...)


And mine of course with butter and maple syrup.....I tried to make them like home but it was the best I could do! hah!


And after you have devoured your stack (everyone always tries to beat out their friends..."How many pancakes did you eat this year?") and have begun to slip into the pre-lent sugar coma then comes the next best thing:


Pancake Tuesday naps!

Now next year we will have to make them "American Style" and I'll be set!

2 comments:

  1. Yep, those are totally crepes, haha. Also, lemon & sugar? Totally doesn't sound appealing but I'd have to try it first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It reminds me of when I was visiting a past girlfriend in New Jersey and it blew their mind that I wanted honey on my pancakes like a good Southerner. If George Washington can eat his pancakes with honey, I can too, darn it!

    ReplyDelete